Sunday, November 13, 2011

My first Texas deer hunt!

I love hunting! Especially the deer hunt because it is a long, long family tradition on my side. Growing up the Deer Hunt was one of the biggest family traditions of the year (and we had/have many if you know my family!) Also growing up with my dad and three brothers I've always gone on hunting and fishing trips, and both have become a hobby (one I wish I could do more often!) This year Cam and I were not able to go back home for deer hunt weekend and I was a little sad. Cam's sister and brother-in-law, Chelsea and Bryan, invited us out to go deer hunting with them here in Texas. It was my first time hunting in Texas and white tail deer so I was excited. Hunting in Texas was WAY different than I am used to because here they use stands, corn feeders and no mountains. The weirdest thing to me was that we bought our tags in a sporting goods store for $25 and it covers 3 deer for one whole season which lasts 2 months. Way different than Utah! We would walk to our stands before the sun came up and would scan the hunting area out of small windows. I do have to say that it was really nice not to worry about snow and heavy warm clothing! We hunted in 70 degree weather, beautiful! The first morning we hunted, Cam and I headed to our stand and sat there in complete silence for what seemed forever. Then the sun came up and we saw tons of doe! Finally we saw a spike and Cam shot him. Next was my turn. We went to another stand, which was a jack pot for deer. Down the dirt road we saw a buck come out from the trees and even from far away we could tell he was big! He ran back in the trees and popped out a while later on our left side into a field. I shot him, and in one shot too! At first I didn't think I got him and then like an hour later Cam suggested we go look around so we did and sure enough in the woods I found him! I was so excited! It was a great weekend and we had so much fun with everyone there! Thanks Chelsea, Bryan and the Cochran family!

1 comment:

  1. YAY FOR BLOGGING! Glad you still got to go on the deer hunt! And I'm very jealous its in the 70's there! It was 41 degrees this morning here! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete